1st September - 5th November 2017
Blackpool Illuminations Facts
- 1.The Blackpool Illuminations cost £2.4 million to stage.
- 2.The mountain of equipment is worth £10 million.
- 3.The Lights are expected to attract in excess of 3.5 million visitors to Blackpool.
- 4.The army of visitors will spend more than £275 million while visiting the resort during the Lights.
- 5.The Blackpool Illuminations will shine non-stop for 66 nights.
- 6.The dazzling display stretches almost six miles from Starr Gate to Bispham.
- 7.Forty-five staff, which include Artists, Electricians, Joiners Mechanics, Painters and Engineers, work all year round to ensure the displays are ready on time.
- 8.Altogether 65,000 staff hours are used on maintenance, preparation, erection, operation and - finally - dismantling the features, fixtures and fittings.
- 9.The Rigby Road workshop, resembles something of a Santa's Grotto with its network of workshops, halls, corridors and storage area.
- 10.There are more than 100-miles of festoon strip strung between promenade poles and across the carriageway.
- 11.Cable and wiring stretches more than 200 miles.
- 12.There are an amazing one million lamps in various types and styles.
- 13.The equipment weighs more than 711,000 kilograms which is equivalent to 350 Blackpool trams.
- 14.There are more than 500 scenic designs and features.
- 15.Forty large tableaux holding more than 5,000 square metres in surface area are included in the display.
- 16.There are more than 5,000 floodlights and spotlights.
- 17.Most of the display now operates on low voltage eg 12v and 24v.
- 18.New infrastructure for the lights, street lighting and tramways cost £9 million.
- 19.The lights are supported by more than 1,500 poles.
- 20.Electricity consumed totals 960,000 units, at an approximate cost of £50,000. Anyone got a 10p for the meter!
Please Note: All donations received by collections are used to create new features. So please donate generously.