1st September - 5th November 2017
Blackpool Illuminations LightPool 2016
Thanks to the Coastal Communities Fund, alongside further investment from Blackpool Council LightPool is back for 2016! LightPool 2016 is not just a projection show it is a festival consisting of many elements. The displays are FREE and enable visitors to celebrate Light with new levels of interaction. From the start of September, there will be a series of 3D shows projected onto the base of The Blackpool Tower bring you a mix of fantasy, fact and fiction.
LightPool is an amazing light projection show running from the Comedy Carpet, projecting onto The Blackpool Tower. 2015 was the first year these projections have taken place. Below is a selection of clips from the 2015 show. The show occurs a number of times each evening during the illuminations.
For 2016 the Tower Headland is transformed into LightPool Village. At peak times there will be stalls selling refreshments and souvenir. Some of the souvenirs are truly unique. Imagine your face projected onto The Blackpool Tower. This is one step beyond having your name in lights.
There are 3 brand new films created especially for the Illuminations plus 2 of the most popular films from 2015 projected on Blackpool Tower serveral times a night.
The three new shows are called "Down The Rabit Hole", "Enchanted Blackpool", and "Chasing Stars: Our Adventures In Space".
Down The Rabit Hole
"Down The Rabit Hole" is a tale of an astronaut exploring new worlds. This journey will draw the audience into worlds without gravity. It promises to be beautiful, fantastic, full of risk and uncertainty. It is out of this world!
This is a magical, fairytale journey which looks at the wonderful architecture of the Blackpool Tower building and brings it to life through a series of amazing characters that have been specially created for the show.
Chasing Stars: Our Adventures In Space
This is a fact-based show designed with education and entertainment in mind. "Chasing Stars" beautifully and imaginatively illustrates some of our more recent journeys into space. European Space Agency 3D model and audio files are creatively utilised to ensure ultimate authenticity. This amazing show will also include the talents of local schools engaged in the project, and promises a fact-based outlook.
´NEON: The Charged Line&Acute; at the Grundy Art Gallery
This year The Grundy Art Gallery in Blackpool Town Center is displaying a major new exhition. Synthesising the work of some of the world´s best known artists: the exhibition is a celebration of all things neon for Blackpool Illuminations and LightPool during 2016. The exhibition at the Grundy Art Gallery will allow visitors to see some of the different ways in which artists have used neon as a form of line drawing. Whether in text, or integrated into sculpture or installation, this magical exhibition will illuminate something within you.
LightPool Festival and LumiDogs
28th October to 2nd November
This year a brand new LightPool Festival will celebrate Blackpool´s unique relationship with light during the Illuminations season.
Highlights of the first LightPool Festival
- The new commission Art Is Your Human Right by Bob and Roberta Smith, which will see illuminated words hanging at eye-catching locations around the town centre including the Council Office, The Grundy and Clifton Street. Bob and Roberta Smith will also lead and convene a public discussion on the power of art to drive social change on Friday 28 October.
- French Compagnie Bilbobasso, who will perform Polar, an explosive fable of fire and tango.
- When the Red Rose from Steve Messam, a new series of temporary, site-specific installations presented by Marketing Lancashire. This rising tide of the colour red takes the county’s historic symbol and by a twist of language creates something new and surprising for each location.
- Ron Haselden´s Brothers and Sisters – 34 drawings in light of children including three works newly created with young people in Blackpool – will appear in windows of the former Ocean Hotel on North Promenade. The building is has recently been purchased by local arts organisation LeftCoast with plans to convert it into an Art Bed and Breakfast (AB&B).
- The UK premiere of Santiago by Emma Allen, an animated self-portrait combining body-painting and light to explore the human evolution from past to future, as well as a new commission for Lightpool called Light Lessons.
- Performances and installations premiered at Burning Man Festival 2016, including The Musical Periscope an immersive installation by Yuli Levtov and a performance from The FireWorks Collective, the troupe which represents the UK fire performance community in the Nevada desert, USA, each year
- Spark! by Worldbeaters Music – concluding the festival with an LED drumming spectacular, featuring a bespoke new section of the show created with students from Blackpool & Fylde College and accompanied by pyrotechnic virtuosos pa-Boom.
Everyone who takes part in the wooftastic workshops will be invited to join theLumiDog´s Parade at the sparkling Grand Finale at the LightPool Festival on the evening of Sunday 30th October 2016.
This will be a fun and entertaining competition for owners and their dogs to take part in, a live staged event featuring fun and friendly competitive rounds, with prizes and awards to be won! Details of LumiDogs